Our nation and world are on the cusp of change.
You can feel it in the air.
The centuries-old systems that put our current president in office are starting to crumble. A pandemic is sweeping the globe. The health of the planet is at the tipping point. More people are waking up and speaking up about injustice.
This intense time is calling us to change — inside and out — in order to meet these challenges and transform them. Going “back to normal” is no longer an option.
Yet, how do we proceed?
Change is demanding.
Even positive change can create fear, overwhelm, and confusion. Change is hard because it requires a lot of emotional and mental energy.
If you don’t have tools that create a sense of inner stability, you can become depleted. Even as you do good work, you might find yourself growing impatient, cynical, burned out, and even numb.
In words attributed to Einstein, a problem cannot be solved at the level at which it was created.
We need additional tools.
To prevent breaking under the strain of the work ahead, you need tools that help you to dig deeper and find terra firma.
The experience of solid rooted-ness comes from enduring truths, guidance based on lived experience, and centuries-old wisdom.
And in my life as a seeker, I have met wise souls who offer these deeper answers and ask really good questions. I am excited to introduce you to them.
Activist Spirit: A soulful retreat for people of conscience
For the challenging journey ahead, I want you to meet some of the most important teachers of my adult life.
Together, we explore big questions about change, fear, and transformation with teachers whose expertise can light our path. This retreat give you tools to ground yourself in deep and enduring ways.
Each guest speaker offers a different kind of solace and wisdom:
- NEW! Julica Hermann de la Fuente, coach, and UU ministerial candidate, and Director of Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression Ministries at the First Universalist Church of Minneapolis.
— And John Cherry, my 4th grade teacher and soulful justice advocate
- Mark Silver, 4th generation entrepreneur, business coach, and Master Teacher in a Sufi lineage.
- Desiree Adaway, consultant, trainer, coach, and speaker building resilient, equitable, and inclusive organizations.
- Dara Marks, Ph.D., author and international script consultant whose groundbreaking approach to screenplay structure uses Jungian theory to tell transformational stories.
- Lynne Maclean, trainer and practitioner of Somatic Experiencing, a modality that helps people transcend trauma and experience release, freedom, and calm.
- Jen Hofmann, creator of the Americans of Conscience Checklist whose life-changing, seven-week pilgrimage holds relevant lessons for today.
- Mini-Retreat on August 3rd with Julica Hermann
- 60-90 minute recorded conversations with four special guests
- 30-minute daily guided meditation and journaling activity
- Recordings of each session for later listening and review
- Transcriptions of each session (via PDF)
The Activist Spirit Retreat is offered virtually, so you can join from anywhere in the world via cell, phone, or internet-connected device. All sessions will also be recorded and transcribed, and these files available for download for 30 days.
Why am I offering this?
You might know me already from the focused, uplifting Americans of Conscience Checklist. What you may not know is that I’ve been writing about the topic of personal and spiritual transformation for over a decade. I am a seeker at heart, writing a memoir about walking across Spain twice on pilgrimage.
This retreat is a continuation of my work.
Secondly, at this seminal time in humanity’s story, Black, Indigenous, and people of color are asking white people of privilege to do their inner work.
Now is the moment to look at ourselves honestly and shed our assumptions that are barriers to growth. So I humbly offer this retreat in service to our collective liberation.
Join in the Activist Spirit: A soulful retreat for people of conscience.
We can learn how to access deep courage — even when afraid — and be of greater service to our communities.
The retreat offers five sessions in total. You can attend one, some, or all. Since recordings and transcriptions will be posted within 24 hours, you do not have to attend live.
- NEW! Mini-Retreat with Julica Hermann de la Fuente and John Cherry
August 3, 2020; 3:30 Eastern / 12:30 Pacific
- Recording: Jennifer Hofmann Wisdom from a 500-Mile Pilgrimage
- Recording: Mark Silver Sufi Wisdom for Activists
- Transcription notes: Desiree Adaway White Allies and the Cycle of Liberation
- Recording: Dara Marks, Ph.D., The Feminine Heroic
- Recording: Lynne Maclean Transforming Triggers and Trauma
Pay what you can.
Check your heart about the value of 7+ hours of guided meditation, spiritual instruction, recordings, and transcriptions from world class guides—plus the intangible benefit of feeling inspired to continue to change the world. Your answer is the amount you’ll pay.
All teachers will be equitably compensated or (if they prefer) a donation will be made in their name.
If your finances are precarious, please accept this class as a gift from me.
- Complete the form below.
- Check your email for a confirmation message and details.
- Follow the link in the email to pay (you choose the amount).
I am hopeful about the future. I hope you’ll join me so we can persevere together!
Sign up below